At this weekend’s Head of School and Delegates Training (it’s not too late to sign up!), we will be giving away free children’s books while supplies last!
The American Federation of Teachers is sending thousands of culturally relevant children’s books, diverse, about music, musicians and for music education.
These are just some of the titles we will be distributing:
- VIP: Mahalia Jackson, Freedom’s Voice
- Rafi and Rosi: Music!
- Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and His Orchestra
- Little Melba and her big trombone
- The Blackbird of Harlem: The Story of Florence Mills
- Clayton Byrd goes underground
- Find Langston #2: Leave Lymon
- In the Key of Us
- The first rule of punk
- Ella Fitzgerald: The Tale of a Vocal Virtuoso
- Sing a Song: How “Lift Every Voice and Sing” Inspired Generations
- A voice called Aretha
- Nina: A Nina Simone Story
- The roots of rap: 16 bars to the 4 pillars of hip-hop
- My Party, Mi Fiesta: A Coco Rocho Book (Bilingual Board Book, English/Spanish)
Come get the books and stay for the training!
What is art education like at your school? We want to hear from you!
Are there music and arts, theater, dance, theatre, art therapy programs at your school? Is there a budget for the arts? Tell us about your school community’s art and library resources! Take our arts survey today! You can also find it by scanning this QR code.
Download the new brochure from the CTU Arts Committee on the importance of the arts in a comprehensive education. Print and circulate among your colleagues, parents and students. Chicago students deserve arts and music too!